We are committed to ongoing action to minimise the impact of our activities on the environment.
We aim to:
- Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
- Actively promote recycling both internally and among our customers and suppliers.
- Meet or exceed all environmental legislation that relates to the organisation.
- Integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision making and activities.
- Promote environmental awareness among our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manager.
- Promote efficient use of materials and resources throughout the organisation.
- Communicate our environmental commitment to clients, customers and the public and encourage them to support it.
- Strive to continually improve our environmental performance and minimise the social impact and damage of activates by periodically reviewing our environmental policy in light of our current and planned future activities.
- All employees must ensure that they minimise their individual environmental impact. We occupy a unique and valuable historic building, and it is the responsibility of every employee to look after both the building itself and our immediate environment.
Our Environmental Policy is reviewed annually.
We have a dedicated ‘Green Team’ of employees from across Tyneside Cinema, Tyneside Bar Cafe, Tyneside Coffee Rooms and Vicolo. Our Green Team regularly meets to discuss ways we can work together to meet the aims contained in our Environmental Policy.
Recycling and Waste Management
We (Tyneside Cinema, Tyneside Bar Cafe, Tyneside Coffee Rooms and Vicolo) are committed to year-on-year improvement to reduce our total waste, reuse where we can and recycle more.
- We separate our waste into mixed recyclate (including plastic bottles, glasses and tubs, cardboard, metal cans, newspapers, telephone directories, magazines and paper including letters, flyers, leaflets and white envelopes), glass and general waste.
- All Tyneside Cinema’s disposable coffee cups are recyclable, as are all our straws. Vicolo coffee cups are also biodegradable.
- Unclaimed spectacles in our lost property glasses are taken to Specsavers who reuse and/or recycle them.
- Our technical team recycle all batteries, and we recycle all our printer cartridges in aid of Great North Air Ambulance.
We aim to increase our recycling by a minimum of 10% over the next two years by reviewing our purchasing and operations, as well as helping our staff and customers to recycle more.
We are proud to have achieved 3-star Creative Green certification in recognition of its commitment to managing its carbon footprint and improving its environmental impacts. Despite increased activity across the whole organisation, we are proud to have reduced our total greenhouse gas emissions and we are committed to ongoing improvement.
Creative Green environmental certification was developed by Julie’s Bicycle specifically for the creative sector. Its purpose is to recognise commitment and achievement, track progress over time and inspire organisations to do more.
The certification uses a point-scoring system to assess environmental commitment, understanding and improvement. By achieving Creative Green certification and showing year-on-year improvement, we are joining the UK creative industries’ response to climate change and environmental sustainability.
Our current Creative Green Certificate is on display in our Box Office alongside our current Display Energy Certificate.